November 18, 2010

Thanksgiving activities

Our good friend from our ward approached me this past summer and told me of a preschool that she was planning to start up this fall.  I had been brain storming ideas of where I would put Andrew for preschool.  He was old enough and he needed to find his own place and get his own group of friends.  Emily asked if I would watch her youngest son in exchange for Andrew's schooling.  I thought it was a great deal and I couldn't pass up on it.  Her youngest is my youngest sons age too so I thought it would work out rather well.  Well I was right.  He has been doing great so far this year.  He has loved it.  Mrs. Emily is an amazing teacher who loves these kids and he is happy.  I am happy.  It has been just want he needed.
She built a huge school room on to her house and they have it there each week.  The room is so much fun and I have fun when I go in there. There are happy colors and the enviornment is just great.
As I was cleaning off my fridge that was covered in my boys art work from school this past week, I found a volunteer calender that Keaton's teacher sends home with them each month.  All the moms get to sign up each month to come and volunteer in the classroom. I LOVE it! I love watching Keaton in the classroom and see him interact with his classmates. It is a sweet thing to watch them learn and play and make friends.
I saw that I was signed up for this mornings class. I also wanted to be a part of Andrew's Thanksgivnig feast for his preschool. Since I can't really be in two places at the same time, I spent a hour and a half with Keaton's class and then the second hour and a half with Andrew's class.
Keaton's kindergarden teacher is a sweet lady. She is a great teacher and is very sincere with her students. Keaton is learning a lot from her.  I hate to brag but Keaton is a very smart boy for his age.  He is more advanced than some of the kids in there. I think sometimes he gets bored because he knows a lot of the stuff already. So next year we are signing him up to go to a Charter school that has a great reputation.  I was suprised that they did not mention anything about Thanksgiving while I was there. I was alittle disappointed that they didn't tell the story of the first Thanksgiving and why we celebrate it. It is just common history and everyone should know that but I guess they are going to try to take that out of public school then? It is just sad. So while they were at recess I slipped away to Andrew's school.  They were just sitting down to have their Thanksgiving feast. Andrew was so excited about it. I had been up last night making rolls for him to take and he was so excited to share them with everyone else.

Mrs. Emily (his teacher) was dressed up as an Indian woman. While they were sitting down to eat she pulled out some pilgrim and indian statues and told them about why we celebrate Thanksgiving. I was so thankful for that. Of course if no one was going to tell my children about it then I was going to do it for FHE next week. But nonetheless, we will tell the story again and act it out this time.  They had a great time. He had a fun time. I even had a little fun too.
Now the kids are out for 10 days on Thanksgiving break. Can you believe that? 10 days. What are we going to do? Time to have a little fun. Enjoy the holidays! I know we are going to!

1 comment:

Karen Melander said...

Holy Cow 10 days? That is crazy. We get 2. What a great deal that Drew gets to go to preschool in exchange for you watching her kid. I would love to find a deal like that. I am doing a co-op for Jake with 4 other moms. Its fun....when it's not my week! J/K Sounds like your doing great. Happy Thanksgiving