April 15, 2012

Soccer season has begun

Last year we signed the boys up to play T-ball together.  We decided to put them on the same team so it would be fun for them and easy for us.  Keaton and Andrew are on two completely different levels of competition and skills.  So this year we decided to split them up. Keaton is with a Little League for baseball, coach pitch, which is what he wanted, and Andrew is is soccer right now.  Saturday was the first game of the season.  Lance is the coach and he was our of town. He was sad to be gone for the first game too. We sure missed you coach!  So another father, or I should say multiple fathers were helping out. 
Andrew was so excited for his game. When he woke up he went right to his room and put his soccer outfit on. He was ready and the entire morning he kept asking " Is it time to go?" I felt bad telling him no, no, no, not yet. His game wasn't until 1 p.m. so we found some fun things to do in the morning to make up for it.  We made a ton of banana bread and they we ate it all.  Every time I bake it, all 4 loaves were gone by the end of the day. Crazy!


So we showed up and the team was out practicing.  Andrew kept telling me, that he needed to bring his soccer ball to practice with and I kept telling him that there would be plenty of balls to practice with, well, I should listen to my children more.  Everyone brought their own ball to practice with so Andrew just stood by and watched. I felt so bad, and I am also terrible, I should have remembered to buy shinn guards for his poor legs. Now he has multiple bruises from all the kicks he recieved. Next game he will be well armed.
I had all 4 of my children.  It was during Owen and Ellie's nap and it was freezing cold and the wind was blowing like crazy.  Talk about a rough afternoon. I had two screaming kids who wanted to go to bed and wanted to go home. Imagine me, with a huge stroller covered with stuff, a screaming, tired baby and two other boys at my legs crying telling me they were cold and that they wanted to go home.  All the while I am trying to cheer Andrew and his little team on.  I was quite the sight.  But we survived and I hope that was the last time I have to do that alone.
Andrew's little team is called Blue Thunder. The kids were so thrilled with the name.  Now mind you this team consists of 7 little 4-5 year olds who have not a clue as to what they are doing. Lance, you have a lot f work cut out for you at practice.  Andrew's team is full of sweet, little kids who were terrified of the green team who had players who were aggressive and not afraid to kick the ball.
Watching little kids play is so much fun and so frustrating.  We have a few parents who are way too involved and are too serious.  Really?  These are 4-5 year olds playing. Let them have fun! This season should be interesting.
I am so excited for my boys to have opportunities to find out for themselves what they like and what they don't like.  Here's to happy sports season that is upon us.  Our Saturdays will now consist of soccer and baseball games.  Bring it on!!!!

No comments: