September 2, 2014

Sister's Retreat 2014

Well we did it! We actually did it!!! We all found a weekend that worked and all 10 of us met up. My sister-in-law Jaclyn hosted it this year in Acworth, Georgia. She was a great host too! They opened their homes, their family life and everything to all of us. It was so much fun too! Can I just tell you that I married into an amazing family. I love them all dearly!
On Monday July 21st I flew out by myself to Chicago, IL to be with Carrie and John and their sweet kids. It had been a really, I mean really long time since I had that much free time to myself and boy o boy I loved it! I think every mom deserves that. But to be honest after the first day I did start to feel homesick for Lance and my kids. Crazy ha?
My plane arrived around 2 p.m in Chicago and the Snyders were all their to pick me up. They were such a cute site. John drove us around to see bits and pieces of Chicago. Crazy. I have never really been in a place where I was the minority. This was my first taste. It was different. Things and places I have only seen in movies. This was the real deal.
We spent the first day at their sweet home and just visited. It was so fun to catch up with them. We ate lots, went for walks down Millionaire avenue and played. Oh I forgot to mention SHOP!! Gotta shop! We made a few trips to Home Depot so we could plant some flowers around their little home so it would brighten things up. You know me and flowers.
The next day we ventured out into Downtown Chicago. Holy smokes!!! Crazy place! Exciting place. A very sad place.
John introduced me to the Park Me app so we could find an affordable place to park. We finally found one. Super ghetto. We had to pull up in front of a rusted shed and a spray painted sign that read Honk for service. So we pulled up. We honked. Nothing happened so John pulled up closer and almost rammed the door. We honked again and slowly the door started to rise. I think we were all alittle nervous when it was pitch black inside and the only way you could drive was straight down. So down we went until we came to a little car garage where a man who was just about as dark as night standing there telling us to get out so he could park the car. We all looked at each other wondering what in the world were we doing here. Rest assured it was all legit. The gentleman parked our car and we headed back up into daylight and explore the city.



We had Brantly and Evelyn with us. They were super troopers. They did fantastic.
I have always heard about Sears Tower and have always wanted to go and stand on the glass ledge that overlooks the city. We finally found the building and headed up to the 40th floor. By the time we got there we found out the cost to stand on that little ledge and decided that $120 for all of us to see it just wasn't worth it so we went back down. The kids loved the elevator ride so that was worth it.
We walked and walked and walked. We explored and explored some more. I think next time in order to see the city we will find a babysitter for the kids and rent bikes so we can move faster.
I had seen homeless people before. Plenty on my mission but this was unbelievable. There were everywhere. We stopped into McDonalds to get some ice cream cones for the kids because they were hot and as we were sitting there eating there was this little old African American women just sitting on the corner crying. I sat there and watched her. Where was her family to help take care of her? So Brantly and I bought a prepaid card for the women to come back a few times and have a free meal. Brantly and Evelyn were the ones that went up to her and gave it to her. It was a very sweet moment.
Thursday morning came and it was time for Carrie and I to fly to Georgia and meet up with all the other sisters. Carrie was on standby and her flight didn't leave until 6 that evening so our plans kinda changed. I flew out at 8 and arrived in Atlanta around noon. I met up with my mother-in-law Sharon who happened to be there the same time I did. It was so fun to find each other.
After what seemed like hours trying to find our way around the largest airport I have ever been in we finally found the car rental place. We rented a car and then navigated our way to Acworth. Not too bad. A huge rain storm kinda slowed things down but we made it.
Everyone arrived! All 10 of us together! It was so much fun.

Lee made some delicious BBQ rib dinner for all of us. It was fun to sit around the table and just talk, laugh and just catch up.
We got to pick our rooms. I felt like I was in college again. We were all split up into two rooms and we stayed up until 3-4 a.m each night just talking and laughing. Seriously laughing so hard. I loved every minute of it!!!!! Such amazing sisters.

We went and say several history sites. That place as full of beautiful places. I wish we had more time to go and see it all. I guess I will just have to go back. I fell in love with Marietta. It was beautiful. I told Lance that we should move there. So green and so beautiful. It was my first time I have ever seen a fire fly. Each evening we would sit out on Lee and Jaclyn's covered patio and you could see them fly and glow. Pretty cool.





One night we went to Henry's Louisiana Grill. I hate seafood! I hate the smell and I hate the taste. I guess the word hate is pretty strong but that is how I feel about it. I ordered chicken to be on the safe side. Everyone ordered something fishy or spicy. Fun to see everyone's meals. My sister in law Lesa ordered oyster pasta and she had never tried one. I was so grossed out but they all dared me to try one so I did. Disgusting!! The texture was horrible. It didn't taste fishy at all but the texture was too much for me. I tried it though and I consider myself brave for doing that.

The weekend went by too fast and it was time to say goodbye. Can't wait to do it again in 2016. Love them all!!!!


No comments: