March 30, 2009

Sleep Deprivation

Last night was one of the worst nights we have had in a long time. I couldn't get to sleep until midnight. I had to stuff a hundred pillows around my body to get somewhat comfortable. The baby has fully dropped which helps me breath alittle easier and the acid reflux is pretty much gone, thank goodness. Both of my boys woke up around 12:30 this morning crying at the top of the stairs. Keaton does really well and goes straight to his little bed and I usually put Andrew up with me and he usually goes straight to sleep but last night he was so fidgety it drove me nuts. After putting up with it for an hour I decided to march him straight back up to his room to get him back to sleep. No luck! He screamed and screamed. I finally had to lock him in his room. The whole night I could hear him scraming and trying to open the door. He finally fell asleep around 3:30 this morning and then I woke up at 7 and snook upstairs to check on him. He woke up obviously and then I brang him down to bed with us and we all slept for another hour.
I have been in tears ever since. I feel so bad for having to lock him in his room but I have to get some sleep. I am already really tired and just out of it. I guess this is preparing me for the being up every 2-3 hours a night when this baby comes. There has to be a better way to get my boys to sleep in their own bed without making them scream it out and locking their door. Anyone have any ideas? I could sure use them.

1 comment:

erin said...

I don't know if this will help but maybe, right? Eli has bad dreams occasionally that scare him to death. So first we try letting him sleep on the couch, and if he is still too scared for that, he can come in our room. But he can't sleep in our bed. There is an extra pillow and blanket on the floor by our bed for him to use. But if he can't be quiet, he has to go back to his room. That way he can move around as much as he needs to but doesn't bother me.

We had to lock him in his room, too, when we first moved him to a regular bed, so don't feel bad. You are just trying to get them into good sleep habits.

Oh also I heard, if they are waking up at the same time every night, it helps to wake them up 15 minutes earlier and rub their back, give them a drink or something. It gets them off that certain time.

I hope you can find something that works--I know how important sleep is. This morning I bribed my kids with snacks and a show so I could stay in bed for a little longer.