May 29, 2009

Owen update

This morning we took Owen into see the doctor. I was right, he has acid reflux and also some discomfort with his bottom. I guess there are two different sphenctors (?). One at the top of the stomach and one at the end of your intestines and both of them are having some trouble right now. He spits up almost everything he has eaten and very seldom does he have poops. So they are both "out of order" right now. The doctor put him on some medication for the reflux and we will play in out for the next week to monitor his stools. If they are still very rare then we have to take him in to see a Gastroentonologist to see what can be done to help him pass stools better. I guess from what the doctor told me these are very common with babies who suffer from reflux. I guess there are quite a few too. Poor babies.
It just breaks my heart to hear my babies cry and knowing there is really nothign I can do but hold them tight and just love them and give him is nasty tasting medicine. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will settle down better once these are taken care of and until we can have a better hold on them. These babies come fragil and so tender. We just have to love them the best that we can.
This evening we went to visit our good friends, the Durgins. Brenda had her baby just a week or two after I had Owen. His name is Kason and he is just so sweet. He was so calm and just fell asleep laying so still on Lance's legs. There was a part of me that was jealous that my baby wouldn't just settle down like that. One day and hopefully it will come soon. I had to do that with Keaton and a lot of the time those feelings of frustration and being so overwhelmed that I just break down and cry in the shower so no one else will know that I am a ball baby.
Owen is asleep right now, so hush little one and good night.

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

I'm so sorry... I know this journey... I'll pray that his is a short-lasting episode and the reflux leaves soon. But there is hope! Bree is completely off her medication and doing fantastic as of just last week! Another thing I thought of that was a LIFESAVER with Bree's refulx was her vibrating bouncy chair. There were hundreds of naps that were taken in that chair because it was the only place she would sleep besides my arms. If you don't have one, I would get one. Also, when you hold him make sure his head is always higher than his stomach. Do this when you feed him too. I would feed and hold Bree between 45 and 90 degree angles. Oh, and most reflux babies feel better on their stomach so make sure to give the little man lots of tummy time. Sorry I haven't called yet... I'll try to call soon. Love you! Hang in there! One hour at a time!