July 29, 2009

One crazy day

It has been really hot outside lately. My boys have been begging every day to go swimming. I would love to take them swimming. I would spend all day in the pool with them if I could, only one problem ~ I have a small baby. I would take Owen too if it weren't so hot outside. There is no shade and I don't think he nor I would enjoy a pool side meltdown. So for now, we just look out our window and dream of swimming.
Yesterday I took them to the library. They have reading/craft time every monday morning at 10:30 a.m. so we tried to make it in time, only to get there late and my boys had no desire to sit and listen. They love that there are small computers just their size with fun learing programs on them to play. So what do they do, they bust through the doors and run straight to the computers. That is where they stay content for the whole 40 minutes we are there. I am the one who checked out the books, and movies. This time instead of letting them choose the "dumb" movies, I picked out educational ones like George Washington and Christopher Columbus. Did they like them? NO! I also checked out some music and books on tape that they have really enjoyed listening to. Maybe we should do this more often.
They just play around the house and I get my house cleaning done while we listen to the books on tape. Great idea!
We went over to my mom's house for the rest of the afternoon to play. She has much more running room at her home and I can let them play outsdie without really having to worry about them. Well I was inside helping Owen go down for his morning nap when all of a sudden I heard some screaming. I ran to do the door wondering what had happened and Keaton had thrown a hand full of dirt/sand into Andrew's eyes and hair. He was a mess. So I took him inside to clean him up and while I was doing so, Owen woke back up, giving me now two screaming boys. I had to help Andrew first so that left Owen in his crib screaming his head off.
We headed back home to get some dinner made and to settle down for the evening. I was boiling some water for the corn on the cob and I had set the cobs on a plate next to the stove and I ran into the computer room to do some visiting teaching calls and I could hear the boys laughing and throwing something. I was pretty sure they were just playing baseball with their little balls and then I got curious because they were laughing so hard. So I stepped out into the front room and that was when I became so mad! They had found the corn on the cob, decided to thrown them around, eat half of them unbaked, and pieces of corn everywhere. I couldn't believe it. That is when I lost it. I put them all in their seperate rooms for at least a half hour while I cried cleaning up the terrible mess them made.
So for dinner, we hate half of a cob where there was still corn left.
It doesn't end there. Lance was gone for another work meeting and I had to get the boys in the bath. I put Owen on the bedroom floor, filled up the tub with some water with the water still running and had the boys get in. I had forgotten the towels down stairs in the dryer. So I ran back upstairs. I heard some pretty hard giggling and I knew that couldn't be good. I ran into the bathroom to find my floors with inches of water on them. They had turned on the shower head, and with cups of water, they were pouring it out the sides of the tub. I couldn't believe it. While all of this was happening Owen had a major blow out thus causing poop to go up and down his back. Good thing it was bath time!
After they were bathed I took them over to my parents house. They were kind enough to watch Keaton and Andrew for us while we took Owen to a wedding reception. It was a nice way to calm down, eat tons of junk food, which I regretted later on, and I was in the company of lots of friends and family.
Then we got back home around 10 p.m. put the kids to bed and went to bed ourselves. It was Owen's worst night in 2 months. He did not sleep well at all. He was up every 3 hours. He usually sleeps 6-7 hours at a time. I don't think we will be keeping him out that late anymore.
I hope we don't have any more days like today for a long time. I need some rest and a therapist!

2 comments:

Shelli Snyder said...

Oh, Mel ... I'm so, so sorry. I admire you, from my heart, for all you do for your all your men over there. I wish I lived nearby to help!

Adele said...

aaaah! Hughs!!