September 28, 2009

Internet Safety 101

Last night we had a special fireside for the Relief Society sisters in our ward about the Internet. We learned how to download a free firewall to install on our computers at home. Learning how to be wise and control what comes into our homes. There are so many scary things out there and my boys are starting to become curious as to why mom and dad use the computer. I try not to use it while they are awake but sometimes there are some things I need to do while they are in the office watching me. I am glad they are still young and don't understand or know what is really out there.
Keaton is already planning games on the pbskids website or the disney website. I let him play as long as I can watch or as long as I am in the office where I can monitor them.
So for now, I am thankful I am not having to teach my children about how to avoid certain things on the computer. But it was a very good education and training about how to be smart. I am a little nervous for what challenges will come my kids way and all the influences that are out there.
All I can do is train them, teach them and love them and pray that they will grow up doing what is right. But I will also control what comes into my home. If anyone is interested about all the things that were said I would be willing to send an email that they sent out to us with all the information. Our bishop gave some very inspiring advise also.
You can never go astray when following the Lord. I am learning along the way.

1 comment:

erin said...

Go to www.kidoz.net and get their browser. You can specify what games or websites are included and there are no pop-ups or links to non-approved websites. That's what my kids use and it works well for us.