December 2, 2009

10 under 4

Yesterday was our first day of having preschool at our home. I always dread these times when my house is completely overrun by 4 year olds. There are 8 kids in Keaton's preschool this year. They are all darling kids but having them all together at one time in one home with one adult to supervise, well let's just say it was chaotic. Plus I had Owen and Andrew also so that made it even harder.
I have always heard the comments the other ladies give about how well Keaton does. Are we talking about the same kid? I would always ask. Well we were.
But I was warned by all the moms that your children will do far worse when preschool is held in their own home. They were right. I put Owen down for his morning nap before everyone showed up at 9 am. It was working out nicely until we started our circle time and one of the little boys said he wasn't feeling very well and that he needed to use the restroom. So I showed him and quickly returned to the kids in circle time. While we were singing the alaphbet I could hear this little boy crying from the bathroom, so I ran over and knocked on the door to see if he was feeling ok. He told me that he had diarreha and that he needed to throw up. Just great, we have a sick boy. So after he was done and after I was done cleaning up he came out to join the rest of the kids and laid down on my couch. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to call his mom who was no where to be found. The kids went running through the house and upstairs, when they suddenly woke up Owen after 30 minutes of sleep. So I have 7 kids who won't listen, running around, one sick boy, and one very cranky baby. I love mornings like this!
The mom finally shows up to take her son home. Now I can relax that we are over that issue and focus on teaching the kids. Keaton and Andrew at this point are upstairs fighting and fussing over the other kids using their toys.
So no one was allowed to play upstairs. They trampled in all the rooms, messed up all the beds, and pulled out some clothes from the dressers up stairs.
Finally three hours later they are all gone, my kids are asleep and I crashed on the couch for one hour of much needed rest.
I only have a week and a half more of this and then I am done. I am not the teaching type at all. I am not sure how teachers do this at school. I am already tired.

No comments: