December 13, 2009

A visit to the hospital

I have no pictures to show for this. This past friday we had to take Andrew into the hospital to have some dental work done. In September I took both of my boys for the very first dental visit. Keaton came out clean and without blemish. Andrew on the other hand came out with major work that needed to be done. We were referred to a Pediatric dentist who specialized in root canals for younger children. How many children do you know that need a root canal done at the age of 2, let alone two of them?
We had to wait 3 months to have this done. I guess this is a pretty common procedure with little kids. I had no idea until my mother told me that I had quite a few done when I was tiny too. I guess Andrew has inherited my bad genes as far as tooth enamel.
He was admitted on Friday morning at 9 am. It was hard because he was not allowed to eat or drink anything from midnight on. That was hard since Andrew had food on his mind 24/7. But we did it. Lance took him in while I stayed behind to take Keaton to a friends and Owen to my parents house. My father was a saint and volunteered to watch Owen while I went to the hospital so Lance could go to a meeting.
The surgery took alittle longer than expected. They ran into 3 extensive cavities on top of the two root canals, that are now silver caps, which by they way, Adnrew thinks he had grown up daddy teeth, and sealents on all of his teeth. I had to wait for about 20 minutes for him to come to and then they called me back to the recovery area to help him out. When I got back there he was screaming. There was a doctor and two nurses trying to hold him down. He was so scared of them. So I ran up to him and held him but he still wouldn't calm down. He was still pretty out of it due to the anesthetics that they put him on. He was really persistent about trying to tear his I.V. out of his hand. So they had me craddle him and hold on to him really tight while they wrapped his arm up really good with gauze so he couldn't get a hold of his IV. The nurse looked at me and said "He is the strongest 4 year old I think I have ever worked with." I told her "Oh he is not 4, he is 2 almost 3." She couldn't believe it. He is big for his age.
Anyways, so they wrapped his arm up. Meanwhile they had all these tags all over his chest so they could keep watch of heart rate, etc. during the operation. He was trying to pull those off. I told him I would do it if he sat still so he did and I let go of his arm and all of sudden he reached over and grabbed the IV and yanked on it so hard that it torn off and there was blood squirting everywhere. All over my face, his and our clothes. It was crazy. I was yelling for a nurse to help me out because at this point they all cleared out to see if that would help him calm down. It didn't and it started all over again. So they rushed in and cleaned us up and got teh rest of the IV out and they left us alone.
I spent about a half hour trying to calm him down. He was so scared and I was so sad to see him react like that. I guess they say it is common for little kids to act like that when they are tryign to come to after being put under. It was a tramatic experience not only for him but it was hard for me to see him like that.
Now here we are two days after and he is doing just fine. He is proud of his teeth and he was showing all of his friends at church his "grown up teeth."
Sorry there were no pictures. I didn't think it was appropriate seeing him miserable like that.
We survived. It is over and done with and we are moving on. Hopefully we will never have to do that again.
Andrew, momma loves you. Thanks for being so brave!

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

Apparently anesthesia does that to little kids. If I didn't know any better, I would have said Bree was possessed when she was coming out of hers after her ear surgery. She was violently clawing at everyone (including herself) and she was only 14 months old! It was the scariest thing I've ever seen. But then they snap out of it and go right back to being the cute kids they are! I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but hopefully it was for the best and Andrew won't have to have any more dental work done for a while. :) We love you guys!