May 24, 2010

What was I thinking?

I have been running, running fast.  My feet haven't stopped for the past two weeks. I love it and in the same sense I am just tuckered out.  I have been cooking actual meals, cleaning, trying to resolve the silliest little issues with my boys, trying to potty train Andrew (for the 3rd time),  been trying to wean Owen and I have been trying to get some sleep, which lately, is very little.  Yep, I am worn out. But we are alive and I am happy. I feel happy and I feel crowded. Is that possible?  I keep telling myself that it is. Of course it is. I am happy because I am filling my days up with meaningful things that bring me peace, comfort and the sweet satisfaction that I have accomplished something. I am happy because Carrie is here. She is so fun to be arund. I am happy because it gives me someone to talk to during the day.
I feel croweded because some of my space is taken. I feel crowded because I am busy non-stop, almost 24/7. It isn't a bad feeling, it just takes some getting used to is all.  Now don't get me wrong, every day is not like this.  These days come now and then and when the good ones come I tend to reach out and hold on to it for as long as I can, because I love that feeling that everything is happening the way they should. My children are on their schedules, the weather is great, I wake up feeling not so grumpy. Oh I love good days!

So this morning my three year old comes up to me right after breakfast and asks for a treat. This is how it went.....
Andrew : "Mom, can I have a treat?"
Me: "No, I don't think so. You just had breakfast."
Andrew: "But I am still hungry! And I need something to help my legs feel better!"
Me: "What is wrong with your legs?"
Andrew: " My legs are hungry! Look at them mom! They are so skinny!"
Me: "Who told you that your legs were skinny?"
Andrew: "The treats in the pantry, told me to eat them so I won't have skinny legs!"
Me: "Oh of course they did. What was I thinking?"
Andrew: "Come in the pantry and you can hear it."
So we go into the pantry and he has me listen really quietly to see if I can hear the fruit snacks talk.
After about 1 minute I tell him......
Me: " I heard it, they just told me that if you want your legs to get bigger then you should eat an apple or some string cheese."
Andrew: "Mom, what were you thinking?"
Me: " You are right! What was I thinking?"

I guess I can't say I love the three year old stage. It has its ups and downs.  Seems to me like it is the terrible three's instead of the terrible twos.  Most mornings Andrew wakes up grouchy and they he starts complaining and that has been driving me absolutely bonkers. I hope this is only a stage that will pass fast.

Owen, is 13 months. I am still nursing. I love nursing and I am ready for it to be done with. Does that make sense?  He is very clingy to me and is a complete momma's boy.  Anyone around here will testify to that. I hope that weaning him this week will make him sleep through the night. We are still struggling to get him to sleep more than 5 hours at a stretch. He has never been a sleeper.  Lately he has been getting up 3-4 times a night and I am really really really tired these days. I also hope that he will become alittle more independant. He is still not walking. Not even trying. Yes, this is frustrating to us all. He will get there I just wish he would do it a little faster. I think he will be much happier when he does.
For now, we are just waiting for the warm weather to decided to stay around.  Yesterday it was only 45 degrees and we woke up to mountains covered in snow. It is May right? Oh bizzarre !




3 comments:

Shelli Snyder said...

That dialogue is the funniest thing ever. We sure miss your boys. Call me wierd, but I can't wait until Chiara can talk. Perhaps we'll feel differently when she actually does, but as she becomes more vocal I wish there were meaning attached to the sounds.

Jen said...

I love the fruit snack story. I agree with you on the terrible 3's. Bring back the 2's, that was much easier.

Suzanne said...

Walter didn't start walking until a few days before his 15th month birthday. I agree with the horrible threes, it's always been that way with mine too. Hang in there girl. Love ya, Suz