July 1, 2010

Flashback

I was searching through some boxes in my garage last night attempting to find a book that I have been wanting to re-read.  Instead of finding my book, I ran across a bunch of old journals I kept on my mission.  There are 4 journals and I wasn't intending on reading those but I was alittle interested to see what the last entry was about on the last journal I wrote in.
This is what I came across and I had completely forgotten about it.  I sat in my garage shifting through old dusty boxes laughing my head off.  Here is what the last journal entry was.  It was dated April 4, 2002.  I had been home from my mission maybe a week.  I drove down to Utah for a mission reunion with Pres. Hadfield. (Mind you, I had two mission presidents on my mission).  I was really excited to go and see some of the missionaires that I served with.  My best friend was there and I was excited just to sit and talk and see them.
(Sorry there are no pictuers of the actual reunion, but here are pics from my mission with my friends.)
President and Hermana Hadfield had all the recently returned missionaries stand up and explain what was happening in the West Mission as far as the number of charlas (discussions) were to be taught, reactivation and etc..  There were probably 5-6 of us that got up and shared with the rest of the retunred missionaries what was going on.
Afterwards I was sittinng at a table visiting with friends when an Elder came up to me and introduced himself.  I remember his name was Elder Whitehead.  He asked me my name and where I was living.  I told him I was still in Idaho but planned to attend BYU in the fall.  I didnt' think much of it until later on when the President wanted each and every single missionary to stand up, introduce themselves by name and also their families, if they had any and any future plans they had.  We were about halfway around the room when the Elder that introduced himself to me stood up, introduced himself as Elder Whitehead and that his future plans were, I quote this too " My future plans are to get to know Melissa Quinn better."  I couldn't believe what I just heard.  I was bright red from head to toe.  Everyone was oohh and aaahhhingn and it was pretty embarrasing.  But it was nice to know that someone thought me attractive.  Aren't sister missionaries suppose to be ackward and ugly?  I was flattered but also embarrassed.  What a way to be welcomed home.  I know some of you reading this were there that day. Do you remember that? Crazy stuff.   There is my flashback for the week.

1 comment:

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

Hahahaha oh my goodness, I totally remember that! I think I was sitting with you and you aren't kidding when you say you were red from head to toe! That was cute!!.... My flashback of the mission was 6 weeks into it...we had cambios and I was so scared to get a Latina companion.... at transfers, I was called to be with Hermana Orellano....the one Latina in the mission that HATED gringas with a passion...and to make it even worse, I was put in a zone where we were the only sisters and I was the only gringa!! Needless to say, my Spanish improved extremely rapidly because of that and it ended up being a HUGE blessing! Hna. Orellano was awesome....we because great friends and she changed her mind about us gringas...at least she was more open minded about us! Man, I love thost memories....some of the best times of our lives weren't they!! :) Oh, and can't forget all the fun we had in La Granja w/ your favorite companera! hahaha!!

Oh and PLEASE make sure you call me when you're in town! We for sure need to catch up in person this time! Love ya!