November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving

This year was the most low key holiday we have spent in our entire married life, and I have no pictures so show for it.  We didn't go anywhere, or do much of anything.  We were just lazy and hung out.  It was kind of nice.  I don't know what the rest of the family thought about it but it was nice to experience for once.  All of my in-laws traveled to Utah to be together. I feel bad because we should have gone, but we didn't.  I was not in the mood to travel, especially during the holidays with kids.  That to me does not sound like fun.
We went over to my parents house for dinner.  There was some great food. Andrew wanted to carve the Turkey so after it was carved he wanted at the remains.  I wish I had my camera to take a picture of it because he was so stinkin cute.  He had a great time taking the bird apart.  Thanks mom for doing that!  My sister Rachel and her family decided to go out for dinner and just be by themselves.  Now she swears that going out to eat on Thanksgiving is the way to go.  I think we will have to try that one year, although I am one of those traditional gals.  I like being with family. I love the home cooked food.  I love just being indoors and being together.  If I had it my way, we would have been in a cabin high up in the mountains with the snow piled a few feet high and the Christmas tree already up, but that didn't happen so we settled to stay in our warm home.  The weather was actually pretty close to perfect.  We played football outside with the boys so that was nice.  My boys love being outside come rain or shine.  No matter how hot or how cold it is, you will find them playing outside.  Me, not so much.
My kids have had no school this past week.  It has been nice to have them home.  I am also really excited for school to start back up and get back on schedule.  I am one who thrives on schedule. I believe my kids do too. 
This past week we have played and played.  They are not going to want to go back to school.  Christmas break is just around the corner so we will be doing this again.

We also went out on Black Friday.  One of my favorite traditions.  Although this year was a little different.  We decided since some of the stores opened Thanksgiving night we might as well go and get some done while we were still wide awake.  So my sister Rachel, my dad and I decided to go out and brave the crowds early.  We wanted to go to Toys R Us first because Keaton wants a RipStick and they were having a great deal at Toys R Us from 9-11 p.m.  How bad could the lines be?  They were terrible.  There were close to 1500 people waiting in line.  So we took one look at it and knew that if we were ever go get in, we would have to wait the 2 hours in line just to get in and once we got in the deal would be over and the RipSticks gone.  So we got back in the car and laughed our way to Walmart.  There were a few things there that my boys wanted so we decided to give it a try.  Oh my goodness, we will never do that again.  It was the craziest place ever.  I am not a huge fan of Walmart and try to avoid it when I can.  I have never seen the store so crowded in my entire life.  There were crates full of the items that were on sale wrapped up and when the horn sounded at 10 p.m. people went crazy ripping things, pushing people and pretty much nawing at people.  I have never seen people go so crazy in my entire life.  I had to stand back and just laugh.  It was so ridiculous.  I could have cared less about the great deal I got on some things, I was more entertained watching stupid people act like fools just to get what they wanted.  I can understand why some people are trampled and crushed by crowds.  Just plain crazy!
I decided to get up early and adventure out by myself the next morning to find some other things.  The town was pretty much a ghost town.  Everyone does their shopping from midnight - 5 a.m.  Not me, I have a baby I still have to nurse and so does my sister so that didn't happen this year. Next year we can do that.  I was alittle disappointed this year, I didn't get all that I needed in one day.  So the Christmas shopping will have to continue.  Seems like Christmas gets more and more expensive each year as my boys get older. 
One tradition that we are going to start is the Elf on the Shelf. Ever heard of it?  This year Santa is going to mail the Snyder children an elf to sit in our home and observe my boys.  Each night after they have gone to bed we will move the elf to a different spot, making the boys believe he is real.  Of course they should be on their best behavior because Santa's elves are keeping an eye on my kids.  Hope it works this year.
All the Christmas decorations are up minus our tree. We will do that for Family night on Monday night.  We always get a real one so we try to wait a little bit so our tree isn't bone dry by the time Christmas comes.  We always leave it up until after the New Year.  I love this time of year.

No comments: