January 3, 2012

Keaton

My oldest son Keaton has been dealing with some boils {I guess I can call them that} that have been showing up all over his body.  We started to notice them about 4 months ago.  We thought it was a big zit or something like that but then he started getting the same looking sores on the back of his legs and under is arms.  We didn't think much of it because they would come one at a time and then go away and then a while later another one would show up.  They weren't painful to him.  They didn't itch so we weren't too concerned with it.
Well about a week ago we noticed that there were more showing up in clusters.  On the back of his legs and now on his sides.  But all of them were showing up on his left side.  Kind of strange.  Anyways, within the last 3 days we noticed that his body was becoming covered in them.  Yesterday we noticed a ugly looking rash that was quickly spreading over his entire body.  They were alittle itchy but not too much.  He has never had a fever and has always been himself.
My son Keaton also suffers from really bad growing pains.  Did you ever experience those when  you were younger? I did.  I sometimes still do.  It is no joy ride and he is living proof of it when they hit.  Last night he had a bad one.  Lance and I made a little bed for him in our bonus room upstairs so we could keep him quiter and let the other kids sleep without them hearing him cry.  Well I am not sure if they were as bad as he let on to be.  You see, my Keaton is quite the actor too.  I never know with him.  He is a pretty dramatic kid, so when something happens, he always acts like it is the worst thing to ever happen to him.  So this was no different.  I have been using some oils on his legs and I think they were helping, in previous times they always do.  This time I think he was just so wired that he couldn't calm down and breath.  I thought he was going to hyperventilate or something.  He serioulsy would not calm down.  Well that happened within an hour or two of each other and then he slept more peacefully after that. 
Well this morning I called the Dermatologist to see if we could get him seen right away. Unfortunatley, they are really busy so he has an appointment on the 18th of this month.  So the next person I called was his Pediatrician.  Lance and I took him together.  He was so tough during the whole exam.  I think he was alittle uncomfortable stripping down to his underwear but it was okay because we were with him.
The verdict, at least what the doctor thinks anyways is two things.  One the big bumps that he has been having for the past few months are called Molluscum Contagiosum and the rash Folliculitis.  Yes, they are both common and YES they are nasty.  At first I was thinking they were going to tell me that he had the Chicken Pox but nope, that wasn't it.
Molluscum Contagiosum is a virus that has to run its course. It can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months to clear up.  No meds can help it out.  Most Dermatologists treat them like warts but everyone who has ever had them tells me not to let the Dr. do that because it is so painful and can leave scarring.  So we will just keep our fingers crossed that they go away sooner than later.  Poor Keaton will just have to deal with them.
Folliculitis is infection of follicles and pretty common so they say.  The more I tell people about it the more I am hearing all these stories about how common it really is.  Keaton is on an anti-biotic right now to help calm it down.  It will take a week or two to take effect so we will just keep our fingers crossed.  Poor guy, he has been so strong through all of this.  I hope that we can get rid of it soon. 
So NO, we don't have the Chicken Pox in our home.  I was dreading it if it was, but then again, it wouldn't be a bad thing either. I hear there are a lot of moms out there looking for a Chicken Pox party to take their children to.  Crazy if you ask me, but it makes sense.
So thanks for the phone calls, the concerns and the emails.  We are doing well. It is just going to take us awhile to get over this.
Keaton buddy, hang in there! You are doing great!!! I love you!!!!!

No comments: