March 14, 2012

Look what I found

I know, I know you are probably thinking that I post too many things about my mission.  Sorry!  It was a huge thing for me.  My mission changed me.  It changed my life.  This afternoon all the my kids were playing with their friends who were over.  It was a nasty, rainy day outside and so they set up some games and it allowed me to start cleaning out some closets.  Since the space in this house is much smaller than the last 2 homes we have lived in, some of my bins have been stacked in my boys closests.  So this afternoon I decided to tackle Keaton and Andrew's closet.  These are just a few of the fun things I found, pictures, old pictures.  Pictures that brought back a lot of memories.  Good memories.  Happy memories.  I also found 2 of the 3 journals I kept on my mission.  I was able to read a few of those entries.  There were a ton of moments I had forgotten about completely.  Re-reading those times brought back some amazing memories. There were so many people I came to love.  So many who took care of me.  Who loved me and who honestly became my best friends.  I wish I could find most of the people I taught and met.  I wish I could go to Chile and visit. I know that was 10+ years ago but I think I could find my way around once I got there.
So here is a little bit of what I found.... those who read this and served with me will appreciate them.

These were the glasses our zone gave to the companionship who taught the most discussions that week.  We were privelaged to wear them. Since my companion was embarrassed to wear them, I did. I was honored. It got a lot of people looking to notice us and plus they were old bent up frames without the lens so most people would ask me if I knew my lens were missing. I would tell them yes and I would ask them if we could come in and tell them about them. It got us in a lot of doors.
Also notice, my lovely long john garments hanging below my skirt. Lovely isn't it. It is amazing how much I didn't really care. I was too cold to care.

This was our penision in Talagante.  Good old camp stoves is what we used to cook on. I never really got used to that pension.  This is the area, I felt the most little tremblers my entire mission.

Earning my first piocha with Pres. and Hna. Hadfield.  I earned it for memorizing all 6 discussion in Spanish within the first 6 weeks of being in the mission field. That was HUGE for me!

My second mission companion Hna. Van de Graaff in 5 de Abril, Maipu. Love her! She taught me so much. I look back on what we did in 5 de Abril and a huge smile comes across my face. We never laughed so hard, worked so hard and we saw so many funny things together. She taught me to work really hard. I owe a lot to her. Joey if you are reading this, remember wet skirts, Franco and Clara, Flute boy (defender of the faith) and so much more? Thanks for the fun time. We worked so hard at being obedient and we saw so many blessings.

I believe this was after a mission conference. Some of my greatest friends!

The shower in our pension in Talagante. I think this was the most nasty shower I ever had. I never liked it.

Walking the main street of my 3rd area in La Granja (the farm). This was one of my most favorite areas to serve in. Loved the people of La Granja. A piece of my heart is still there. A pretty common street. It was in this area where I learned the most about loving others. Just a very humble ward.

A pretty busy weekly agenda that I found. We always did presentations in the mornings with our zone in different areas to help each area out. I loved that about my mission, we were always helping each other out. Funny that I can't remmember what most of this stuff was. But every now and then I can read a name and know who they were and I can still remember what they looked like and where they lived. I saved every single agenda I had on my mission. Is that strange? Looking back now I am so glad I did. My boys liked looking at them.

My third companion Hna. Butler. This is our area map of Talagante. I was only there for 6 weeks. It was the strangest 6 weeks of my mission. I don't remember a whole lot about this area. Weird? I remember just crying a lot with Hna. Butler. I don't remember anything about the ward. I remember Orlando and Connie and the girls. Orlando was a taxi driver. His wife and daughters were members but he was not. Our whole focus was on getting him to feel the spirit and recognize it. He was like our father. He and his family did so much for us. He finally was baptized right after I left that area and the last time I saw him was when he came to say goodbye to Hna. Butler and I at the airport before we flew home. That is what I remember from that area.

1 comment:

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

I absoluletly LOVE when you take these walks down memory lane. I misplaced my mission picture box and am still so bummed about it! :( I love looking at your pictures and being able to remember and reminiss about that wonderful time. Chilena chicas somos nosotros para siempre! Can you believe it's been 10 years??!!