August 13, 2012

Stanley Lake

Ever since I can remember my side of the family has always gone camping up to Stanley Lake every year.  Well it was that time of year again.  It is the one trip my mom looks forward to every year. There is a great deal of planning that goes into this camp trip.  The meals are fabulous. I think we have always eaten pretty gourmet while camping and the view is absolutely amazing. By far, hands down, the best spot to go camping. The campsite is literally a few feet away from sandy beach that overlooks the Sawtooth Mountains. It is really breathtaking!

This year I didn't get to go. I stayed behind with Owen and Ellie while Lance drove up with Keaton and Andrew.  They met up with all the family up there for two days. They were in little boy heaven. I had nightlly phone calls with them and they would tell me of their adventures. Lance loaded up the 4-wheeler and that was pretty entertaining for everyone as well.
Since half of Idaho is on fire right now the smoke was really low. It was pretty hazy. Even here in the valley is really bad. You can smell it and it is just really hazy. I guess that is the only way to describe it.
While they were there they were informed that a bear was close by and that they were going to set up a trap by their campground to catch it. Another reason I was glad not to be there. Lance and the boys slept in a tent the first night.  Lance said he woke up to gun shots at 2 a.m. and then he heard the bear in their campsite. It came close to their tent and he could hear it trying to get inside the coolers for food. He was scared hafl to death, playing over and over in his mind what he needed to do with the boys and himself if the bear ever came near their tent. But luckily it didn't! It just took some chips and cookies and was on its merry little way. Thank heavens!!!!!
The boys played on the beach, made sand castles, or traps I should say. They caught frogs, fished for tadpoles, and went for many rides in the raft out onto the lake. They were in tears when they had to leave. They wanted to stay longer but Lance had to be back in time for church on Sunday. It was nice to have them back. It was kind of quite around here. Something I am not really used to.
My mom called us Sunday morning to tell the boys the bear had been caught. He fell for the meat in the trap. Only downfall was, they had to listen to the bear bang up against the trap and growl all night long. Come to find out, he was just a baby bear. But still, bears can be dangerous I think no matter what size.
Here are some pictures Lance took for me while they were up there.....



No comments: