August 9, 2009

A weird year camping

Every year my family plans a huge family camp trip up to Stanley Lake. It is the most sought out campting spot in Idaho. We have lake front property on Stanley Lake and a beach all to ourselves. We love it! Every year has been great! No mosquitos, no bears, wolves no nothing, just amazing. This year we had a week of nothing but cold, cold weather and rain nonstop.
Lance and I left first thing on Friday morning to spend the weekend. It was crummy weather the day we left and we were crossing our fingers that the weather would be great until we got a phone call from my mom telling us to prepare and pack for cold weather. The mountain tips of Stanley were covered in snow and a camp site was becoming its own private lake.
We got up there and it was cold and raining, but we were happy to see everyone. Our boys hopefully missed us. They looked like they were having fun. They were all huddled in my uncle's camper watching Monster's Inc. when we got there settling down for an afternoon nap.
This is going to be long so here is our weekend summed up in a few lines:

-it rained every day nonstop. Usually the clouds give and take a little but no, this rain did not stop once. I have never seen it rain like that in Boise or the surrounding areas
-tornado warnings flashing across the news
-nickle size hail
-12 people crammed into a camper. Luckily this camper was really nice and much bigger so we could fit nicely but after a while you wonder why you are spending time up in the mountains when all you can do is sit and watch a movie. Whats the use?
-one sleepless night. We are all used to a noise maker when we sleep and no one else liked them so we had to turn them off. I couldn't sleep. I slept by the babe so I could hear his every little sound. I hated it!
-great meals! My mom plans really well and is the camp chef. We eat better camping then we do at home
-kids that get really really car sick. Holding Andrew's head out the window while we are drivng because there is no where to stop, thus causing barf to splatter against the side of our car. Barf all over him, me and our car. When we pulled up to the hot springs where we were going swimming, everyone looked at our car and laughed.
-using a whole package of wet wipes to clean my car off
-after two days we called it quits and came home.
-No more car sickness. All our boys slept on the way home. It is about a 2 hour drive throug windy roads. I get really car sick so I do the driving.

So there you have it. I didn't get many pictures taken since it was raining and we were just not in the picture taking mood but I did manage to get a few taken. Overall it was ok. We didn't get out much and we couldn't take our boys to do all the fun things we talked up the week before. Hopefully next year will be a better year. The rest of the clan decided to stay up there until Monday afternoon and they are already starting to see warmer weather up there. We just ended up going up at the wrong time. But the boys had a blast playing with cousins and just do something we normally don't do. It was nice to get out! Owen did really well. Just slept and ate most of the time, which was fine by me. I didn't do anything fun with our pictures. Maybe when I have some time to do it I will, but enjoy them!







3 comments:

Karen Melander said...

Thanks for writing about the camping trip. I would have loved to be there. It sounds like it went about like our last camping trip. Nothing but rain and cold. Oh well, good memories anyways.

Shelli Snyder said...

This post made me laugh out loud. I'm sorry it was so terrible, but glad you shared with the rest of us. Love you, Mel!

Brittany said...

Oh I hate it when it rains while you want to camp! That's happened to us every time we've gone this year! What is the deal with all the rainy weather this summer!!?