September 7, 2010

Keeping up

I have been horrible about keeping up on this blog.  Sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it.  Does anyone read this?  I am doing an experiment.  If you read this, then just make one small comment so I can see how many people actually read. 
I am trying to be better at journaling but so far it is not working very well.  I have been making personal notes to myself in books, on notecards or mentally and that doesn't help me too much when I need to go back and review what I am been doing so I can become better.  I use to be good at it.  It all started on my mission.  I didn't want to forget anything so I filled up 4 journals completely full of all the things I did and everything I felt.  People wo impacted me, strange customs that just blew me away and all the crazy food I tried.  I love going back and reading some of those entries.  It feels like if I just read those entries, sit back and close my eyes, I can remember everything.  Pictures have that same effect on me too.
Anyways, with this challenge that I am doing, one of the things they suggest is taking time to write in a journal or blog everyday and record whatever it is I feel that day.  So here is my attempt. Ready?
We started another week of school with Keaton.  This time Lance is taking him to see if it just me he cries for or if he can actually do better if I am not there.  I am happy to report that he ddin't cry this morning.  At least that is what Lance tells me.  When I picked Keaton up today I congratulated him on not crying and this is what he said to me, "Well I had a little bit of cry but I kept it inside."  How sweet of him.  I think he wanted to be a big boy for dad, I am not sure.  I hope that he can keep it up.  He is alittle shy and tends to sit back and watch as the kids play on the playground before school.  His teacher says he always stopes when the class starts.  So that is good.  He is loving it and doing well.  He is so worn out though when we pick him up.  He usually has some quite time when we get home.
Andrew started preschool today.  He was so excited.  He had backpack and all on this morning, ready before any of us.  There are only 4 little kids in his class but he had a blast and his teacher said he did great.  I am excited for him to have his own friends and have experiences on his own.  He has been hiding behind Keaton for so long that this will be a good adventure for him.  He was also worn out too.  In exchange for his free schooling, I babysit Emily's little guy Benson who is almost 2.  He did great.  Owen loved having a little buddy to play around with.  We went for a bike ride, yes, I put them in the bike trailer,  played playdough, had snacks, read books, sang songs and just had a fun time.  I was worn out too.  I think this will work.
Owen is still pretty clingy to me.  Most days it just drives me insane.  One of my personal goals for him is to spend more quatlity time to see if I am just not paying that much attention to him.  He is walking around like crazy.  Running almost.  The cute thing he does now is rolls his tounge back and forth over his teeth and mumbles.  It means he wants a lawn mower ride or go on the swings.  You should see him do it.  It is quite funny.  I will try to get it on video and post it.  Classic.  He has the sweetest little smile too.  He is starting to test me.  How do kids that young know how to do that?
As for me, well we are plugging right along.  We still continue to house 11 people.  Yes, there are 11 people living in my home right now.  At times it is alittle crazy but we are having fun too.  My little neice Chiara is alittle scared at times but it is only because my boys are running around, screaming all the time.  She is just not used to a noisy house.  But she is slowly adapting and it is fun to watch them all play together.
We have a system figured out here.  Certain families cook on certain nights.  Everyone is assigned a night to do dinner and dishes and any kind of clean up that needs to be done.  It has worked out quite nicely.  Shelli, Carrie and I are also doing the Best You Challenge together so it is really helpful motivating each other.  I am looking for a lifestyle change.  I am waking up feeling tired, sluggish and just not happy.  I need to find balance and I hope that this routine will help me get there.  Working out has never been my thing but it is starting to feel good and it will be nice to have my body back.  After having 4 children in 5 years it takes a toll on your body and I want that control back.   It will be long road and not an easy one by all means but I am going to get there.  There are going to be some major sugar withdrawls around here but bring it on!  My kids need to cut back too and it will do us all a world of good.
So this is how I will keep track of my journey.  I also keep a typed up journal that works really well for me too. 
Sorry there are no pictures to show for any of this.  They will come soon enough but for now, good night!

7 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I always read your blog!! So don't stop. :)

Mom got married about a month ago. They are very happy and he is a very nice man.

And EVERYONE says Drennan looks just like Lee. I guess we've got a Snyder baby on our hands! :)

Shaw Family said...

I love reading your blog so please keep it up!!!

Lee said...

probably the only info I get about your family unless Boise State is playing and Lance and I are texting.....:-)

Nicole Ray said...

Go Melissa!
You can do it, and don't give up if you have a bad week. I think last time alot of people did that and even though my score wasn't perfect all the time I kept going and I am so glad I did cause that is when change happens and things become habit and you start to feel better! It takes at least the first month but that time will fly! I am doing it also but just with the Rays as competition and we cut out journaling!! So I am right there with you. Are you going to be at Zumba tomorrow?

emilyaaa said...

i did that very same challenge a few years ago. it was awesome! I didn't win anything, but it was the first time in MY LIFE that i exercised every day! and the no sugar thing just about killed me, but it was great! good for you for doing it!

I love reading your blog. i love hearing about the ups and downs of motherhood from someone besides myself :) You're awesome for setting all these goals. i'm so bad at goal KEEPING that i often times don't even bother to SET them...but i should! Thanks for your example, lady. You're awesome!!

Karen Melander said...

I read it!!

Anonymous said...

Just read :-)