March 8, 2015

Genetics

Dr. Szentes recommended that we have some genetic testing done. There is a gene that has been discovered that can predict who will and who will not have cancer. It is called the BRAC 1 & 2 gene. Awhile back it became big news when the actress Angelina Jolie had her double mastectomy because she had tested positive for the genes.
We were instructed to go downtown to MSTI. The Mountain States Tumor Institute. We met with a geneticist and went over our family history and all the many diseases that seem to creep up in the family. It is amazing that most of them are actually pretty healthy. Give and take a few here and there with something but overall pretty healthy genes.
We were told that if we tested positive for the gene then my chances of having another breast cancer is up to 80% and my chances for Ovarian Cancer is 65% and higher. So if the tests come back positive, looks like I will loose both sides and have a hysterectomy as well. After the testing was all said and done Lance and I looked at each other and this is what Lance said , "They are going to take your ovaries, your boobs and you may potentially lose your hair? No one told me I get a boyfriend out of all of this!" All we could do was laugh. To be honest I almost peed my pants. And they we cried. This has been an emotional roller coaster of ups and downs and we are only just beginning.
The tests will take up to 2-3 weeks to come back. Don't know if w have that much time so we will see what the doctor says this week.

The MSTI is a very humble place. This is where all the those who look like they are about to meet death go. The chemo ward had a few people in there and everyone looked at us like we were too young to be there. I would have to agree with that one. Everyone was old.

I still can't believe this is happening to us. Still feels like nothing physically has happened. I am sure that is all right around the corner. Lance and I are terrified of Chemo. We have heard the bad, the good, the life saving and the terribly ugly mark it can leave. We are looking into other treatments that don't seem as harsh.

Seems like everything we have read in the holistic line of healing is diet, oxygen, hyper barrik chambers and lots and lots of vitamins. We are considering this as well. We have read numerous accounts of people healing their body holistically and it seems more appealing to me now than ever. But at the same time, I want this evil out of me. I am almost to the point to do whatever it takes to get it out and gone. Chemo does save lives. There will be time for healing afterwards.

I have a word or two for you cancer. YOU SUCK!!!!!! GO AWAY AND LEAVE US ALONE!  YOU WILL NEVER HAVE MY PERMISSION TO TAKE WHAT HAS BEEN MINE, WHAT IS MINE AND WHAT WILL BE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments: